Monday, June 4, 2012

An Affair with mobile Phone


An Affair with mobile Phone
Temmy, my wife once told me that she discovered I now have a second wife who is threatening to take her place, I was so shocked to hear that because that thought had never crossed my mind, so I asked her who was the second wife and how did she get the news. Her reply shocked me further. Temmy informed me that my Mobile phone is the second wife.
My Mobile phone… mmmmmm…,  well… I am guilty of being too attached to my phone, yes, my mobile phone virtually separated me from other things in my life (Apart from my Wife). I even use it more than I visit my laptop since I can do virtually everything I want to do with my mobile phone.

Nokia 3310 Era
When Mobile phone was introduced in Nigeria in 2001, nobody ever predicted it will become an essential commodity now. In fact it took me a whole year before I can join the league of mobile phone users since I never saw any sense in it then.
Perhaps maybe due to rugged and non flashy style of the early phones arrival in Nigeria, many do not see the need to buy it.
You will remember with fond memory the Nokia 3310, and how we play the snake game with it. I still remember the Samsung R220 blue face with antenna which I used with the aid of an outside antenna attached to a long pole all in the bid to get network and be able to call out.
However, what I really don’t want to remember is that tiny voice always reminding me that my credit will soon expire when I just bought a 750 MTN card which was suppose to last for only 7 days.
I started my phone with Samsung A800, a small portable blue open and close phone with a green light background whom I collected from my Old man and I was so proud of the phone as I show it off to my friends who were still glued to Nokia 3310.
In this era, yours truly quickly settled down into the mobile world and I learnt how to compose songs for the Nokia 3310 and the likes and I was the rave in the campus as students sought me out with their Nokia 3310 begging me to help them ‘tush’ up their phone with some sounds. I still laugh whenever I remember how we were satisfied with those sounds then and feel so fly anytime our phone ring and it plays monophonic sounds.

Infrared and Polyphonic Era
After my first experience with Sansung, I migrated to Sony Ericsson with Z200, and that was when the Infrared age started and you can imagine my elation when I discovered that apart from making calls and playing games, I can actually send files such as pix and Polyphonic ring tones, by bringing my phone side by side with another phone.
To some of us, that is the best that can ever happen to us on the technology era, imagine you being able to actually transfer pix to my phone, all I need to do is snap myself and send it to other people’s phone through my Infrared. It was simply wonderful

Mp3 and Bluetooth Era
I moved through different ranges of Sony Ericsson from Z200 to K350i, K750i and later W800i and P900i and in all these, I was introduced to Mp3 and 3.5 mega pixel camera as well as Bluetooth. I guess this was where the addiction started from, as I tried various styles and innovations with my Sony Ericsson.
Being a bachelor at that time, it is natural that I stay awake most nights with my ear phone in my ear listening to cool music blaring into my ear while I also try out other things that my phone application allows me.

Internet Browsing Codes
All through these periods there were still a limit to all we can do with our phones, as our network providers felt we don’t still qualify to enjoy full internet access, so you can imagine how happy I was when in the early 2008, I stumbled across a free browsing code and browsing cheats…
Wow, so I can actually browse on my phone for free? This realization was so superb, I formed a clique of free browsing code users, and we create codes for various versions of phones and share it among ourselves.
Much later, we discovered browsing prov and created provs for our MTN and GLO. It was so wonderful.

China Phone era
A friend of mine visited me in 2009 and was holding a very big mobile phone with large screen. On closer look, I discovered that it was a dual sim phone so I really got interested, what type of phone is this? I asked, an sure it will cost more than 100k, I thought within me…
As I still held on to the phone, it sudden rang…. Omg! I quickly threw down the phone as the sound that came out from the phone was as if a loudspeaker had been placed in the room. My friend gently picked the phone with a bemused look and calmly told me that was how the phone rings so loud.
Wow…. What type of the phone is this? I collected the phone from him to look for the name of the brand but all I could see were some strange names I cant easily recognize among the different brands I know. Then he explained to me that it was a China phone….
Welcome to era of China phones… some call it Shinko phone… over the years, we have course to see many china phones ranging from ITEL, NOKLA, NKIA, TECNO, and even names such as GODWIN, and others.
Later, we begin to see some of these China phones having Mobile Television where you can tune to local channels.
Right now, it has become so difficult to even recognize them again as some China phones had been so designed to look like Nokia and other brands, that one of the easiest way to recognize them is the MNT that takes the place of MTN

Blackberry, Ipad, iPhones and DSTV phones
After following the trend of phones, I quickly jumped at DSTV mobile phone following a brief flirt with Nokia phones, but by this time, the new rave in town was Blackberry and iPhones. And sharing of PIN became the order of the day.
Moreover, in a bid to outdo each other, the Mobile network provider created the monthly, weekly and daily internet plans which allowed subscribers to have access to internet.
The introduction of Blackberry and frenzy rate in which our society embraced it is alarming going by different news being heard about blackberry thefts among other things.
Despite my addiction and romance with mobile, it has never crossed my mind to get a blackberry or an iPhone even when I can afford it, I just do not see any thing attractive in it and am still waiting to be proved wrong
However, by now, after my conversation with my wife, I realized that I had really got so involved with mobile phones and as a married man, I ought not to allow it become my second wife. I need to take a decision once and for all.
One thing I promised Temmy was my undying love for her and I think if I need to do that, I have to reduce my addiction to mobile phones.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is really so nice n beautiful written. It took Me back to wen I had my first siemens fone after I had subscribed to my MTN line weeks before it came. Ur piece just so chronicles the era in fone introduction into the Naija market.

I read this piece wit nostalgia. Keep the good work bro.

Unknown said...

Am sure Felix had many things in mind when he wrote this... I love it... great work Honey